Sunday 16 June 2013

#343 Challenges to Accept & Transcend when starting Meditation Practice

     Nothing worthwhile is ever simply handed to us, we have to EARN it: commitment in time, effort & energy. When we're sufficiently interested in meditating, we prioritize it, and we start.
     I myself READ about it for 30 YEARS before I actually sat down & began meditating - so I know all about inertia. But the profound benefits of meditation arise ONLY THROUGH PRACTICING meditation.

     “Meditation is not for the faint-hearted, nor for those who routinely avoid the whispered longings of their own hearts.” Jon Kabat-Zinn
 

Initial Challenges we learn to Accept & Transcend in Meditation Practice:
     "Difficulty Maintaining Cognitive Focus, Mind wandering, thinking too much. e.g., “Getting past a wandering mind,” “Doubting my ability to stay focused and clear my mind.” 
     Physical Issues Pain, feeling tired, difficulty sitting still. e. g., “How can I explore different body positions in hope of being generally more comfortable,” “It’s hard not to fall asleep. It makes me tired,” “Lack of willingness to sit still.” 
     General Difficulties During Meditation e.g., “Just hard to do,” “Will meditation ever be easy?” 
     Finding Time to Meditate Outside of Class e.g., “Making time for my formal practice,” “That I don’t have enough time to do it frequently.” 
     Finding Motivation to Meditate Outside of Class e.g., “When am I ever going to feel the urge to sit and meditate by myself?” “I’ve wondered how to find the self-motivation to meditate on my own.” 
     Does Meditation Really Work? Questions about whether meditation is beneficial, expectancy violations for experi- ence during meditation compared to misconceptions about what mindfulness is. e.g., “Is it really that beneficial?” “Whether nor not it works,” “Why doesn’t it instantly transform me?” “It doesn’t always make me happy.” 
     Am I doing it Right? Questions about one’s own ability to do meditation. e.g., “That I’m doing it right,” “That I’m just not getting it,” “Not getting it.” 
     Other e.g., “Why my path is what it is,” “Is skiing and climbing meditation?”"

     Sears SR, Kraus S, Carlough K, Treat E. Perceived benefits and doubts of participants in a weekly meditation study. Mindfulness (NY), 2011, 10.1007/s12671-011-0055-4.  

 
SERGE333   www.dpreview.com

No comments:

Post a Comment