Monday 8 October 2012

#199 Observing Clearly - Accepting vs Reacting

     To clearly, objectively observe a phenomenon - be it the tickle at the tip of my nose, discomfort in my foot during sitting meditation, or anxiety about my presentation tomorrow - I need to fully accept it as it presents itself. Full acceptance includes nondefensively being with & observing the physical sensations.
     I need to see what happens to the phenomenon, over time, without me interfering with it in any way. Acceptance like this shows a willingness to tolerate tolerable discomfort, so I can develop a deeper level of understanding about the phenomenon - to see what I can learn from it - to see if I can have a wiser relationship with it. So acceptance means letting go of reacting automatically.
     Why would we choose to try this? Because we sense that we can do better than allow our life to remain dominated by primitive reflexes. We assume that our quality of life, and the quality of life of those around us may be improved if our relationship to difficulties were more refined.


Credit: slideshare   http://www.slideshare.net/myprof/unusual-pics08-20120phyl1

No comments:

Post a Comment