Tuesday 1 July 2014

#544 We're Dumber AND Wiser than we Assume

     If we look back - clearly & honestly - at some (much?) of our past behavior, we're likely to be (I certainly am) grateful that anyone's stuck by us - friends or family! This is not humility, just the humbling clarity of 20:20 hindsight.
     Longstanding meditation practice is nicely described by the late Zen teacher, Shunryu Suzuki as: "one embarrassment after another!" We learn to let go of our inflated (armored) egos, we learn to open our mind-hearts towards others who are "perfectly human" like us, and thus we do actually become a bit wiser.


      “When I find myself full of fear or desire, I remember that I am dealing with a brain and nervous system that has been hard-wired for millions of years for these emotions. Then I apply one of my favorite mantras, ‘I’m perfectly human.’ When I sit in meditation as a human being rather than as an individual, I feel I am part of a collective effort on the part of our species to right itself, to find a new sanity. As Robert Thurman says of meditation, ‘It’s evolutionary sport.’ In the light of that big perspective, I thank you for being on my team.”      Wes Nisker

     See: http://mindfulnessforeveryone.blogspot.ca/2014/02/492-mindfulness-practice-real-world.html

Maryanne Gobble, National Geographic   http://photography.nationalgeographic.com

2 comments:

  1. Something about the line, "When I sit in meditation as a human being rather than as an individual, I feel I am part of a collective effort on the part of our species to right itself, to find a new sanity.", makes me want to meditate and helps to take the pressure off of how I, as an individual, should be evolving. There's that word again: should. I am working on being aware of when I want to say that word :) I am glad to be on the team! That photo by Maryanne Gobble is beautiful. I really like trees. I am using them to help me with a grounding exercise, especially after an intense day at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Jay, we do tend to "should all over ourselves". A gentle intention is more humane as well as more effective. Like Nisker (a very wise AND funny human being) I too understand that we're all in this together - in a "collective effort." There is a profoundly earthy, organic quality to Maryanne's photo - glad you like it too.

    ReplyDelete