Wednesday 18 July 2012

#150 My response IS my experience

     One summer, in my early 30's, I was at my in-laws' cottage for a highly anticipated week of fishing, canoeing and swimming. As it turned out, it rained constantly throughout my precious week's holiday. I was fuming mad and felt sorry for myself the whole time.

     Recently a large flock of crows moved into our neighborhood. I surprised myself in being only mildly aware of the sound of these creatures, first thing in the morning as well as in the evening. Hearing them has no negative connotations for me at all - because I LIKE crows, I accept them. I have no problem at all with this potentially aversive stimulus, while some of my neighbors are angry and frustrated.

     The weather, crows, economy, global politics, ... there are infinite numbers of things in our lives that we have little or no control over. BUT we can direct our attention and respond intelligently and appropriately. AND the quality of our lives depends on our own response FAR MORE than on any external circumstance.

     “what I learned was how to embrace and how to let go. This is the secret to life …”
        Haubner J. Where is the true place? Shambhala Sun, May 2012. http://www.shambhalasun.com
 
Noah knows



No comments:

Post a Comment